6/16/11. Cyclones players and coaches. Manager Rich Donnelly #45The hiring of Tom Gamboa to the Cyclones took most of the fan base by surprise. Most fans were expecting either Benny Distefano or Garry Templeton. In the past weeks, many fans have begun noticing similarities between the 2, such as resume, background and personality.

We are going analyze the similarities and differences between the 2 men and let the fans decide:

Rich Donnelly

Age: 67

Teams managed: 6 teams including Brooklyn in 11 seasons.

Championships as manager: 1974, Gastonia Rangers

Years in Baseball: About 35

Major League Coach: Base coach, bullpen coach.

RESUME PRIOR TO JOINING CYCLONES:

Minor League Managing Career:

  • Texas Rangers Affiliates: 1972-82 EXCLUDING 1982

Major League Coaching Career:

  • Texas Rangers (1982)
  • Pittsburgh Pirates (1986-96)
  • Flordia Marlins (1997-98)
  • Colorado Rockies (1999)
  • Milwaukee Brewers (2003–05).
  • Los Angeles Dodgers (2006–07).

OTHER:

  • Advisor, player development, for the Pittsburgh Pirates (2008–2010).

Tom Gamboa

Age: 66

Years in Baseball: About 40

Major League Coach: Yes, base coach

Championships as manager: 1983 with Paintsville Brewers & 2005 with Arkansas Travelers (Angels)

RESUME:

Minor League Managing Career:

  • Butte Copper Kings (1979)
  • Paintsville Brewers (1983)
  • Beloit Brewers (1984)
  • Stockton Ports (1985)
  • Bristol Tigers (1986)
  • Glen Falls Tigers (1987)
  • Toledo Mud Hens (1990)
  • Albuquerque Dukes (2000)
  • Arkansas Travelers (2005)
  • Palm Springs Power (2010)

 Major League Coaching Career:

  • Chicago Cubs 3B Coach (1998-99)
  • KC Royals 1B Coach (2001-03)

OTHER:

  • SD Padres Minor League field coordinator (2008-09)

Other similarities:

  • Both have lost immediate family members to cancer (Donnelly lost a daughter, Gamboa lost a mother).
  • Neither were ever with the Mets organization before coming to Brooklyn.

PLEASE VOTE