Frank ViolaToday, the New York Mets announced that Frank Viola will undergo open heart surgery. He will miss the start of 2014 season.

Viola, 53, was slated to be the AAA Las Vegas 51s Pitching Coach. Viola has served as the Brooklyn Cyclones Pitching Coach during the 2011 season.

The entire staff of Brooklyn Baseball Banter wishes “Frankie V” a speedy recovery.

Tom Signore will serve as the interim pitching coach. No word if he will be in Brooklyn for the start of the season.

rivera1With Luis Natera being promoted to Mets field staff, the AA Binghamton Mets announced today that Luis Rivera will serve as hitting coach. Luis Rivera played 69 games with the Brooklyn Cyclones in 2006. The shortstop was named to the 2006 NYPL All Star team. He reached as high as AAA Buffalo in 2009 before retiring in 2010 to become a coach in the Mets Organization. Rivera had previously served as hitting coach for the Kingsport Mets in 2011.

NOTE: Two guys named Luis Rivera played for the Brooklyn Cyclones and were All Stars. One was a SS in 2006 who wore #5. The other was an outfielder who wore #23. The article references Luis Rivera from the 2006 Cyclones.

  1. […] Viola will make his long awaited debut as Pitching Coach for the Las Vegas 51s. Viola underwent open heart surgery in March & has been medically cleared to coach the Mets AAA team effective tomorrow […]

    Like

  2. […] being named Pitching Coach for the 2014 Brooklyn Cyclones, Signore began the 2014 season as the Interim Pitching Coach for the Las Vegas 51s. Frank Viola was recovering from heart surgery, so Signore filled in. During warmups one day, Signore […]

    Like

  3. Isaac says:

    Keep on working, great job!

    Like

  4. Isaac says:

    Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

    Like

  5. […] many of us know, Signore began the 2014 season as the Interim Pitching Coach for the Las Vegas 51s, filling in for Frank Viola. During warmups one day, Signore got hit in the head with a baseball and suffered a concussion. He […]

    Like

  6. […] serving as the Pitching Coach for the Las Vega 51s while Frank Viola was recovering from heart surgery, Tom Signore got hit in the head with a baseball and suffered a concussion. A source within the […]

    Like

  7. […] Signore began the 2014 season as the Interim Pitching Coach for the Las Vegas 51s while Frank Viola … During warmups one day, Signore got hit in the head with a baseball and suffered a concussion. He managed to return to the field a few days later. In June he transferred to Brooklyn when Viola was medically cleared to return to the field. […]