JOey GJoey Goffstein, 18, has been named the new Head Bat Boy & Assistant Clubhouse Manager for the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Goffstein had served as the Newark Bears Head Batboy from April 2009 until September 2013, when the team folded. He had also served as Assistant Clubhouse Manager as well as Head Batboy from May 2011.

Goffstein served as bat boy for the Cyclones for a handful of games towards the end of the 2011 season. Some former Cyclones Joey worked with when they were Newark Bears include James Roche & Edgardo Alfonzo.

In a statement to Brooklyn Baseball Banter, Joey stated “I am excited to be joining such a great organization as the Mets. I am thrilled to be able to work for such an amazing affiliate as the Brooklyn Cyclones.”

Even former members of the Newark Bears were happy for Joey.

Pitcher Adam Gabel told Brooklyn Baseball Banter: “Joey is a hard and dedicated worker. He cares about the players and goes outta his way to make sure they get whatever is needed.”

Bears Bullpen Catcher Dan McNamara stated: “Joey has made a major impact on my life as a player and now as a coach. He just cares so much about this game that we play and the people that do it that you just have to play hard, because you know he’s going that extra mile for you. I expect great things from him in the future. To be so young and get such a coveted job for a major sports team just speaks to the kind of person he is. The Mets are lucky to have him.”

Bears Clubhouse Manager Marquis “SNACKS” Green told Brooklyn Baseball Banter: “Joey G is one, great hardworking kid. As a bat boy he showed me the ropes on how to be a clubhouse manger. Always made sure things were done, very responsible. He brings that positive energy to the teams. He is very supportive. I love Joey. He has a lot of blessings coming his way!!!

An abridged version of this article appeared in the May 22th, 2014 edition of the Jewish Link of Bergen County (currently known as the Jewish Link of New Jersey)

  1. […] When he joined the Cyclones prior to the 2014 season, many Newark Bears had great things to say about Joey. All of that is available by CLICKING HERE […]