The Problem with Promotions like Seinfeld Night

Written by a Longtime Fan

While tonight is the long awaited Seinfeld Night, many longtime Cyclones fans are dreading it.

I am not gonna lie. The idea for Seinfeld night is an incredibly genius one. The Cyclones staff is combining a popular show set in NYC and a popular NY Met. While I was not a huge fan of Seinfeld, I watched some episodes over the years and enjoyed a number of them. The Keith Hernandez bobblehead idea is smart, because Mex is a beloved member of the ’86 Mets & the SNY broadcast team. I personally cannot attend games this season because I am working as a groundskeeper at a camp in Pennsylvania. I even wrote this article in June.

$_12The problem as I see it, is that there will be too many non-baseball fans there. It is unfair to the Die-Hard Cyclones Fans, the long timers, the season ticket holders and mini plan holders that they will have to get to the ballpark 4-5 hours earlier than usual to get the bobblehead. On a Jersday Thursday or regular bobblehead night, fans can get still get there within 30 minutes after the gates open to get the giveaway. For the fans who sit through annoying promotions, such as Ballet & Baseball, Princess Night and Useless Night, now have to suffer because of a promotion too popular.

MCU Park has 7,500 seats plus standing room. According to a capacity sign, the maximum fans they can have his 12,500, which would break the record of 10,073 set in 2006. If the Cyclones were to get 11,000, moving around MCU Park tonight will be extremely hard. Lines for food will be long and slow, people will be crowding the concourses and there will be too many people smoking. I was there in ’06 when 10K walked through the gates and I remember how hard it was to walk from my seat to the bathroom.

Even by looking at the in-game promotions, I wonder how many people will be watching the game. Between appearance by the Soup Nazi, a dozen people throwing out the 1st pitch, some Dance Contest and a whole other list of promos, I wonder how many of the people showing up tonight will notice if a perfect game where to be thrown.

To all those loyal fans that are going, I wish you luck. It is going to be a chaotic night at the ballpark.