GxdJ76oSDuring tonight’s game, while jotting down the lineups, I was talking with a man in Williamsport Crosscutters gear. We chatted a bit and he told me that he was the team bus driver, and that unlike most drivers, he spent the games actually watching the games and scoring the games. When I asked how long he had been doing it, he told me that he started in August 2011. Now, I would normally ask him “Why would you start midseason?” but I knew why.

For those who do not remember what happened after the Cyclones 7-2 loss on 8/2/11, this is from an article published on MiLB.com on August 3rd, 2011.

“The accident occurred at approximately 11:18 p.m. in Staten Island. The Susquehanna Trailways bus, carrying 52 passengers, was en route to the team’s downtown Brooklyn hotel from Coney Island’s MCU Park when the driver erroneously crossed the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge into Staten Island. The bus then collided with an SUV at an off-ramp of the Staten Island Expressway while attempting to make a U-turn, allegedly after running a red light. The impact from the crash sent the bus careening into a guardrail, which prevented it from plunging down the embankment and onto the expressway below.”

Even though the Cutters had gone through a horrible ordeal the night before, the Cyclones & Cutters managed to start the game, albeit a slight delay. When the Cutters took the field, they got a standing ovation from all the fans. The Cyclones won the game 3-2 in the 9th, thanks to a sacrifice fly by Javier Rodriguez to score Chase Greene. The Cutters driver was fired after the road trip.

Tomorrow, the Cyclones & Cutters face off for another camp day game.