qmeme_1407422780742_709The Cyclones began their 6-game road trip last night in Niles, Ohio with a heartbreaking loss to the Mahoning Valley Scrappers in extra innings.

The game was a classic pitcher’s duel. Scarlyn Reyes pitched 6 shutout innings before turning it over to Gaither Bumgardner in the bottom of the 7th. Bumgardner gave up a 1-out walks to Taylor Murphy & D’vone McClure. David Armendariz grounds out, moving the runners up a base. Kelly Secrest came in for Gaither Bumgardner. A wild pitch by Secrest allowed Murphy to score. After giving up a walk to Austin Fisher, Yonathan Mendoza grounded out to end the inning.

Brooklyn got quickly tied it up in the top of the 8th. With Anthony Vizcaya on the mound for the Scappers, Adrian Abreu drew a 1-out walk. Will Fulmer grounded out, moving Abreu to 3rd. a double by John Mora allowed Abreu to score, tying the game at 1. Amed Rosario struck out swinging to end the inning.

The game would remain tied until the Bottom of the 12th. Yonathan Mendoza led off with a single of Luis Rengel. A wild pitch send him to 2nd. Greg Allen hit a bunt single to make it 1st & 3rd. Rengel intentionally walked Steven Patterson to load the bases. Leo Castillo hit a sac fly to center that scored Mendoza, giving the Scrappers the 2-1 win in 12 innings.

The Cyclones fell to 27-25 on the season. They remain tied with the Connecticut Tigers for the Wild Card lead, but the Tigers hold the tie-breaker. The Cyclones & Scrappers face off tonight at 7pm.

BOX SCORE & PLAY-BY-PLAY