qmeme_1407525321436_157BOX SCORE & PLAY-BY-PLAY

The Brooklyn Cyclones won last night’s game against the Mahoning Valley Scrappers thanks to a brilliant pitching performance by Martires Arias in his 1st start with the Cyclones.

Brooklyn finally got on the board in the top of the 4th. Michael Conforto led off with a double to left off Scrappers starter Julian Merryweather. Jhoan Urena singles center scoring Conforto to make it 1-0.

Brooklyn added more in the Top of the 8th off reliever David Speer. John Mora & Amed Rosario led off with back-to-back singles. Michael Conforto singled to right, scoring Mora and moving Rosario to 3rd. Urena hit a sacrifice fly to right that score Rosario and moved Conforto to 2nd. Tyler Moore walked to make it 1st & 2nd. Tomas Nido singled to center, scoring Conforto. Ramon Rodriguez came in to relieve Speer. Speer got out of the inning by getting Michael Bernal to pop out & Jeff Diehl to hit into a 6-4 force out.

Arias gave up 2 hits over 6 innings, to go along with 3 walks and 6 strikeouts. Brad Wieck pitched 2 scoreless innings, striking out 5 of the 7 batters he faced. Mike Hepple pitched a scoreless 9th, allowing 1 walk.

The Cyclones improve to 28-25 on the season. With the Tigers falling to the Jammers 3-2, the Cyclones now lead the Wild Card by 1 game.