10653747_792660200754355_5288863765284531438_nBOX SCORE & PLAY-BY-PLAY

“Nerve-wracking”. That is only word to describe what last night was like for the Cyclones fans who made the journey to RCB Ballpark. Over 200 Cyclones fans were in attendance and loud from the 1st pitch, thanks to an “I believe that we will win!” chant from Anthony Furia.

The Cyclones got things going in the Top of the 2nd. With Sean Carley on the hill for the Baby Bombers, Jhoan Urena & Tomas Nido hit back-to-back singles to start the inning. Adrian Abreu struck out swinging, but Pedro Perez reached on an error that loaded the bases. Michael Bernal struck out swinging, but JC Rodriguez singled to right. Urena scored, but a bad choice by Coach David Davalillo resulted in Nido being nailed at home. However, the Cyclones led 1-0.

Brooklyn added another in the Top of the 5th off Tim Giel. Perez led off with a single, then stole 2nd base. Bernal went down swinging. Rodriguez grounded out, moving Perez to 3rd. John Mora singled to center, scoring Perez to give Brooklyn a 2-0 lead. Mora tried to steal 2nd, but was thrown out by C Luis Torrens.

Casey Meisner pitched a great game for the Cyclones, throwing 5 shutout innings. Brad Wieck followed with 2 shutout innings as well.

Brooklyn added 1 for good measure in the Top of the 7th. Ethan Carnes was called in to pitch and gave up a single to Abreu, who went to 2nd on an error. Perez flew out to left. A wild pitch send Abreu to 3rd. Luis Arrizurieta pinch-hit for Bernal & drew a walk before Tucker Tharp came in to run. Rodriguez grounded out, but score Abreu. The inning ended when Mora look at strike 3 go by him.

Kelly Secrest gave up a run in the Bottom of the 8th. Isaias Tejeda led off with a double and score 2 batters later when Collin Slaybaugh doubled to right. However, Secrest got Billy Fleming to ground out to end the inning. Shane Bay got his 15th Save of the season, tying with Carlos Pinales of Lowell for the league lead.

However, the win was not enough for the Cyclones. The Lowell Spinners had a back-and-forth game with the Connecticut Tigers that ended with the Tigers up 9-8. Because the Cyclones lost the season series 2-4 to the Tigers, they will miss the NYPL Playoffs for the 2nd straight season & their 5th time in 14 years of existence.

  1. […] the season on the line and the team in a must win game, Meisner pitched a gem of the game to lift the Cyclones over the Yankees at RCB […]