This past week, the Montague Tunnel, which connects the R trains and overnight N trains from Lower Manhattan to Downtown Brooklyn finally reopened after a year of repair work due to extensive damage caused by Hurricane Sandy. The tunnel opened ahead of schedule.

This ends a season long inconvenience to some of the Cyclones fans that attended games in Staten Island. This past season, Cyclones fans that came from Brooklyn and used the Whitehall St. Station had to switch at Atlantic Ave. – Barclays Center to the 4/5 trains. Once on the train, they had to take it to Bowling Green and walk 4 blocks to the Staten Island Ferry. The R didn’t stop at Whitehall St. – South Ferry on weekends during the closure, causing some inconvenience to the fans coming from points north.

On a related note, the New South Ferry station for the 1 Train is expected to remain closed through at least 2016, forcing fans to use the Old South Ferry Station, which only allows the 1st 5 cars to open their doors and is not ADA Accessible.