Next season, the Cyclones will be celebrating 15 Years of Cyclones Baseball in Brooklyn.

This past season, I had a chance to witness 1 other team celebrate 15 years. The Staten Island Yankees, who have been around since 1999, celebrated 15 years of baseball in Staten Island. They had stuff in their PlayBall program looking back at the team’s success.

I saw another city celebrate 15 years as well. When I went on a road trip to Dodd Stadium with some Cyclones fans, Dodd Stadium was celebrating 15 seasons of baseball in Norwich, CT. The day we went, the Tigers gave out a pack of cards honoring 5 great players to play in Norwich. The team did 15 total cards to honor 15 great players.

Let’s look at what the Cyclones did for their 5 & 10 year anniversaries.

get-attachment.aspxThe 2005 season, albeit a bad season (40-36), was a memory filled one in Brooklyn, as the Cyclones were led by New York Mets Legend Mookie Wilson. Going though the 2005 Promotional Schedule, the Cyclones did a 5th Year Card Series. They also did Dog Tags, which I happen to own a pair of. That August, they gave out 5th Season T-Shirts, Scarfs & Waterbottles.

cyclones10-thumb-450x424-173431162010 was arguably the best season in Coney Island. KeySpan Park was renamed MCU Park. A beloved member of the 1986 NY Mets Wally Backman led an All Star laden team to the a 52-24 record and a trip to the NYPL Finals. The team also had many great promos to celebrate 10 seasons of Cyclones baseball: a plaque was given out on June 21st. A night later, a 10 season t-shirt was given out as well. The Jersday Thursday series began as well, with most jerseys having the #10 on it. A Cyclones Snuggie with the 10 season logo was given out one night, as well as an umbrella with the 10 season logo. Fans voted on a “10 year Team”, the winners being featured on a poster.

So, with our 15th season coming up, here are some suggestions I have for 15 Season promotions

  • 15 Years, 15 Great Cyclones: Do a card set of the 15 most popular Cyclones. Let fans vote on 1 Position Player from all 8 positions, 1 DH, 2 Starting Pitchers, 2 Relief Pitchers, 1 Closer and 1 Manager. Give out the cards in sets of 3 or 5 as a giveaway.
  • 15 Years, 15 Great Fans: Brooklyn Cyclones fans are great fans and the team should honor some of the dedicated fans. They could do something similar to the Baseball Card Contest where the top 15 in voting get featured on a poster, or in a pregame ceremony. Just throwing an idea out there.
  • 15 Year Jerseys, T-shirts, Cap, etc.