LJ Maz

LJ Mazzilli (c) Pat Sanchez

Former Brooklyn Cyclone & current Mets prospect L.J. Mazzilli has been suspended 50 games, without pay, for a 2nd positive drug test for an abusive drug. The suspension will go into effect at the start of the 2015 season. His father is former NY Mets & Yankees OF Lee Mazzilli, LJ being short for Lee Jr.

The Mets issued a statement on his suspension.

“We support the Minor League Drug Prevention & Treatment Program. We were disappointed and sorry to hear of LJ’s struggles. We are pleased that LJ has sought counseling to address his issues,”

LJ Mazzilli provided a statement to the press:

“I would like to sincerely apologize for my actions to Mr. Fred & Jeff Wilpon, Mr. Sandy Alderson and the NY Mets organization. I would also like to apologize to my family, my friends and my fans, who have supported me in my life and my career. Unfortunately, in life, you cannot go back on a bad decision that was made, and in my case, one that I very much regret. After everything my loved ones, supporters, and the NY Mets have given me, especially an opportunity to chase my childhood dream, I couldn’t be more ashamed and sorry. I am fully ready to own up to my mistake and accept the repercussions from Major League Baseball. I also want to apologize to the Commissioner’s Office and MLB. I have learned the hard way that nothing in this life is as important as being a good representative of yourself, your legacy, your family, and contributing positively to society. I am ready to move forward positively in my life and in my career.”

His father released a statement as well.

“There is nothing politically correct that I could say that can soften the blow, my son made a mistake. Just like any other parent out there we are disappointed and hurt when our children make bad decisions. However, we are proud of our son for seeking professional help on his own. The only thing now that we can do as a family is love him, support him, and have faith as we’ve always done.”

Mazzilli split last season between the Savannah Sand Gnats & the St. Lucie Mets. He also appeared in 1 game for the Las Vegas 51s. For the 2014 season, LJ hit .301 with 11 HRs, 79 RBIs, with 29 double while scoring 79 runs.

  1. Elliot says:

    Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you
    writing this article and the rest of the website
    is really good.

    Like

  2. […] Welch is the 4th player to be suspended under the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program so far. LJ Mazzilli (’13) was suspended as well. […]