Brandon-Welch

Brandon Welch (c) Brooklyn Cyclones

Brandon Welch, who pitched for the Cyclones in 2014, has been suspended 50 games without pay. He received the suspension following a second positive test for a drug of abuse. This is in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Welch’s suspension will be effective from the start of the 2015 season.

Welch, 23, posted a 5.18 ERA over 14 appearances (3 starts) last year. He was the Mets’ fifth-round selection in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft.

Welch released this statement via his Twitter () to his followers.

I would like to take this time to sincerely apologize to Mr. Fred and Jeff Wilpon, Mr. Sandy Alderson and the New York Mets organization. I am ashamed of myself for my actions that I very much regret. There is nothing I can say that is politically correct that will make this any easier. I let down and disappointed my family, friends, and fans who have supported me throughout my career. Most importantly the New York Mets organization who have given me the opportunity to chase my dream and play the game I love that I put my blood, sweat and tears in. This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to deal with. Although you can’t go back and change the poor decisions you make in life, you can learn from them and move forward in a positive way in both my life and in my career which I plan to do. I apologize to the Commissioner’s Office and Major League Baseball and take full responsibility for my actions and accept the repercussions from the MLB. These were not my intentions and will make me work even harder at my craft and become a better representative in both my self and as a New York Met. I will not accept anything less. My expectations for my self and hopefully from everyone else to become a successful Major League Baseball player will not change cause of this issue. I will stay strong through these hardships in life and will not let it get me down. I hope everyone can move past this as I’m willing to do and keep supporting me along the way throughout my career. Thank you!

Welch is the 4th player to be suspended under the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program so far. LJ Mazzilli (’13) was suspended as well.

Major League Baseball’s “drugs of abuse” include cocaine, marijuana, heroin, LSD and ecstasy.

  1. […] the 2014-2015 season, Brandon Welch was suspended 50 games for Violating the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment […]

    Like

  2. […] Welch was suspended 50 games for violating MiLB’s Drug Policies. […]