dc69a8a042a4e5a73280264a25db9213.200

Jack Leathersich (c) Brooklyn Cyclones

The New York Mets announced tonight that Rafael Montero has been optioned back to the Las Vegas 51s (AAA) and that Jack Leathersich will be called up to the Majors.

Leathersich, 24, pitched with the Brooklyn Cyclones in 2011. In while facing 47 batters in 12.2 innings pitched over 9 games, Leathersich struck out 26 guys while walking only 6, allowing 6 hits and giving up only one earned run. He posted an amazing ERA of 0.71, which helped the Brooklyn Cyclones clinch the 2011 New York Penn League Wild Card spot.

On his way through the Mets system, Leathersich played for the Savannah Sand Gnats and St. Lucie Mets in 2012. He split the 2013 and 2014 seasons with both the Binghamton Mets and the Las Vegas 51s. This season, Leathersich appeared in 7 games. In 7 innings pitched, Leathersich struck out 13 of the 27 batters he faced, while giving up only 2 runs and 4 hits.

Leathersich will be the 50th member of the Brooklyn Cyclones to play in the Major Leagues. He will be the 33rd to make his debut with the Mets and 34th to play for both the Mets and the Cyclones.

He will also be the 5th member of the 2011 Brooklyn Cyclones to play in the majors, joining RHPs Jose De La Torre, Cory Mazzoni & Rafael Montero as well as INF Danny Muno.

  1. […] TJ is the 5th member of the 2011 team to play in the Majors, joining RHP Rafael Montero, SS Danny Muno, RHP Cory Mazzoni, & LHP Jack Leathersich. […]