Rich Ruff

Rich Ruff (c) Daniel Weiss

As someone who likes to attend baseball games at various levels, major league, minor league, independent league and collegiate, it is always nice to see former Brooklyn Cyclones either playing or coaching. If I run into a former member of the Brooklyn Cyclones, I will chat with them.

This past week, I took a trip up to Newburgh, NY for a Newburgh Newts game. The Newts are part of the newly founded North Country Baseball League. They play their home games at Delano Hitch Park, not far from Dutchess County Stadium, home of the Hudson Valley Renegades.

While looking at the roster that PR Director Niel Dwyer gave me, I noticed the name Rich Ruff, who appeared in 2 games for the Cyclones early in the 2012 season.

Before the game I got a chance to speak to him and he came in to pitch in relief for the Newts in their 3-2 win over the Road City Explorers.

If you are in the area, stop by a Newts game and say hi to Rich.

While I am discussing former Cyclones, I saw that Ross Peeples, who won the 2001 Sterling Award, along with Jay Caligiuri, is the Bench Coach for the Lancaster Barnstormers. When I attended yesterday’s Somerset Patriots game vs Lancaster, I was informed he did not make the trip.

Also listed in the Patriots yearbook is T.J. Chism, who pitched in a few games for the Cyclones in 2009 & 2010 and was a NY – Penn League All Star in 2011. However, he is no longer with the team.