10653831_706349999419081_4173981673939826452_n

Adrian Abreu (c) Cliff Zeman

Adrian Abreu, who spent the 2014 season with the Brooklyn Cyclones, has been suspended 80 games.

According to the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, New York Mets Catcher Adrian Abreu has received a 80-game suspension without pay.

He tested positive for metabolites of Stanozolol. Stanozolol is the same performance-enhancing drug for which Mets closer Jenrry Mejia was suspended for earlier this year.

During the 2014 season, Abreu appeared in 53 games for the Cyclones, hitting .236 with 2 homers, 17 RBIs and 8 doubles. He was primarily a catcher, but appeared in 2 games as the Cyclones 1B.

Abreu has split the season with the St. Lucie Mets & Savannah Sand Gnats. He last played for the Gnats on 6/29/15.

His suspension is most likely the reason that Natanael Ramos was sent to Savannah last night. Ramos will most likely help out by serving as a bullpen & emergency catcher.

  1. […] The promotion of Ramos most likely happened because of Adrian Abreu’s suspension. […]