11824938_10153133529248719_1852707587119675113_nFor months, it has been reported that the ownership of the Savannah Sand Gnats, Hardball Capital led by CEO Jason Freier, was relocating the team to a new ballpark in Columbia, SC.

Today, the logo and name was released. The team will be called the Columbia Fireflies. The Mets Class A team will feature a blue and yellow logo of a firefly, with alternate marks incorporating the familiar glowing of the insects and the childhood tradition of capturing those mysterious lightning bugs in a jar.

firefliesThe Mets have been affiliated with the Savannah Sand Gnats since 2007. They will remain affiliates despite the move.

The move also shortens the distance between the NY Mets & their South Atlantic League team from 830 miles to 690 miles, a drop of 140.

  1. […] Columbia Fireflies, who replace the Savannah Sand Gnats, not only do they not make the trip to Lakewood to play the Blue Claws (Phillies) for the 2nd […]