img_1496While the New York Penn League does not release the 2016 schedule until November, the Eastern League & South Atlantic League Schedules have been released already.

Fans have enjoyed seeing former Cyclones play for the Mets at different levels.

And let’s just say, these league’s which play at least 140 games, need to find a better balance to the scheduling.

The Binghamton Mets will play in New Jersey once all of next season, despite the fact they are division rivals with the Trenton Thunder (Yankees). They come in on Friday, June 17th for a 3-game set. That weekend happens to coincide with Opening Weekend for the NY-Penn League. If the NYPL schedule follows tradition, the Cyclones will be facing off against the Staten Island Yankees.

The B-Mets will also make two trips to the Hartford Yard Goats (Rockies), who replace the New Britain Rock Cats. The 1st trip will be July 4th to July 7th, with all games games at 7pm. They make another weekend trip in August, as they play there from the 5th to 7th. The 1st 2 games were at 7pm and the finale will be at 1:30 on Sunday.

The Columbia Fireflies, who replace the Savannah Sand Gnats, not only do they not make the trip to New Jersey to play the Lakewood Blue Claws (Phillies) for the 2nd straight season, they do not even play Lakewood this season, leading to a question of why they do not have balanced schedule.

With 140 games & 14 teams, the SAL could make a very balanced schedule. Columbia could play all North teams 6 times (3 home, 3 road) totaling 42 games, that leaves 98 games to play South teams (16 each & 2 extra games). They could also do 8 vs North (4H & 4R) for 56 & 84 for South (7H & 7R)

  1. […] the Eastern League Schedule came out in Fall 2015, I saw that the Binghamton Mets would be home on Wednesday, July 20th 2016 for a 1:05 PM game […]