qmeme_1441029527288_592All I can say is “Thank god I didn’t go.” I was thinking of going with some fans to see Bruno Stadium and covering the game from the press box, but with the way the team has played, and the way they played yesterday, the trip wasn’t worth it.

Kevin Canelon ran into trouble from the start. In the Bottom of the 1st, Johnny Sewald, brother of former Cyclone Pitcher Paul Sewald, led off with a single to right. Sewald stole 2nd & went to 3rd on a missed catch by 2B Vinny Siena. Hector Roa grounded out, but scored Sewald. Canelon would get out of the inning without giving up any runs.

Tri-City would get 2 more in the Bottom of the 2nd, as Dexture McCall doubled and Cesar Carrasco homered to score him. In the Bottom of the 3rd, Aaron Mizell homered to make it 4-0.

The Cyclones bats finally came in life in the Top of the 4th. Alfredo Reyes led off with a single to right and groundout by Siena moved him to 2nd. David Thompson doubled to center, scoring Reyes. Jeff Diehl singled to make it 1st & 3rd, knocking starter Zac Person out of the game. Kevin McCanna came in and gave up a 3-run homer to Zach Mathieu to tie the game at 4 each. The Cyclones would not get a baserunner the rest of the inning.

Canelon quickly gave back the runs in the Bottom of the 4th. McCall led off with a single and Anthony Hermelyn homered to make it 6-4. Carrasco popped out, but Brooks Marlow singled to left. Johnny Sewald grounded out, moving Marlow to 2nd. Hector Roa homered to make it 8-4. Roa upset the Cyclones by taking his time running the bases. Canelon struck out Mizell to end the inning.

Brandon Welch came in to pitch for Brooklyn and pitched a shutout Bottom of the 5th. In the Bottom of the 6th he ran into trouble.

Hermelyn led off with a walk and a double by Carrasco made it 2nd & 3rd. Marlow hit a sac fly to score Hermelyn. Sewald singled to center, moving Carrasco to 3rd. Hector Roa singled to center, scoring Carrasco and moving Sewald to 2nd. Mizell grounded into a 3-6 force out to make it 1st & 3rd. Bobby Wernes singled to right, scoring Sewald and moving Mizell to 2nd. Kolbey Carpenter singled to right, scoring Mizell and moving Wernes to 3rd with Carpenter to 2nd on the throw. Dexture McCall flew out to end the inning.

Ruben Reyes came in to pitch the Bottom of the 7th and threw a 1-2-3 inning. The Bottom of the 8th saw the 1st brawl of the Cyclones in years. Ruben Reyes got back at Roa by hitting him with a 1-1 pitch, causing the benches & bullpens to clear. When the dust cleared, HP umpire Jose Matamoros ejected Cyclones Reyes, C Jose Garcia and Tri-City P Juan Santon. Cyclones Manager Tom Gamboa had to make some substitutions and had Pedro Perez come in to pitch. Pat Porter ran for Roa. Mizell reached on an error and Wernes drew a walk to load the bases. Carpenter went down looking, but McCall walked to score another run. Hermelyn grounded out to end the inning with Tri-City up 13-4, giving them a win and dropping the Cyclones tragic number to 6.

LSLoss1inTriBOX SCORE & PLAY-BY-PLAY

  1. […] Cyclones reliever Ruben Reyes has been suspended 5 games for hitting Tri-City’s Hector Roa with a pitch on Sunday. […]