qmeme_1447722901660_873The two words in white letters on the brick backround in the article pic represent a special phrase. It is a phrase that it is synonymous with being a loyal fan of the Brooklyn Cyclones. It is a phrase that fans of other teams have no idea what it means. It is a phrase that we all have come to love.

From Home Jerseys to Irish Jerseys, Jersday Thursday has been an integral part of being a Cyclones fan. After finding out who the manager and coaches will be, the announcement of the Jersday Thursday designs is the next important off-season news to a Brooklyn Cyclones fan. We all have our favorite designs and we all like to discuss what designs we would like to see. Some fans are avid collectors and possess all of them

Since the inception of the Jersday Thursday promo in 2010, the Cyclones have distributed 41 different jerseys as part of the Jersday Thursday promotion.

Chris Raso II, rocking a Marty McFly giveaway jersey

Chris Raso II, rocking a Marty McFly giveaway jersey

The giveaway jerseys are a popular item on eBay, as many sell for as much as $35. People who have retired to Arizona and Florida have purchased sets of jerseys on eBay.

A handful of fans line up hours in advance to ensure they receive one. Even on days where the temperature neared 100o F, collectors would still line up as early as 3:30 pm, just to ensure that they would get one.

Chris Raso II, is usually one of those who gets in line, sometimes as early as 11:30 am. “You know how it’s said the early bird catches the worm? ‘The early fanatic catches the promo!’ I mean it is true especially if and when you’re first on line!”

Mike McNicholas rocking the 2015 Irish Giveaway Jersey

Mike McNicholas rocking the 2015 Irish Giveaway Jersey

With the 2016 schedule out, many fans have noticed that the Cyclones will play just four Thursday home games next season. A number of fans have wondered if the team has either scaled down the promo or plans on doing away with it.

One fan, Mike McNicholas, known to many as “Mittens” said “It would stink if they got rid of them. I love the free Jerseys.”

STH Dmitry Kristal

STH Dmitry Kristal

“Honestly, I’d cry if they do away with it” said Dmitry Kristal, a Season Ticket Holder who sits in Section 16.

Rob Weiner, another member of Section 16, said “I’d miss it, and I also think it would hurt attendance,” noting how Jersday Thursdays once packed MCU Park every Thursday, but have been unable to do so in the recent seasons.

Weiner

Super Fan Rob Weiner

Robert Bloom, a mini-plan holder, felt a little different. “I am more of a t-shirt guy to begin with. Even so, I feel the team has done enough jerseys at this point. We need some more unique giveaways”

Mini-Plan Holder Robert Bloom

Mini-Plan Holder Robert Bloom

The Cyclones will release their promo schedule in the Spring. Until then, fans will just have to wait and see what the future holds.

DANIEL’S OPINION

Brooklyn Baseball Banter Editor-in-Chief Daniel S. Weiss

Brooklyn Baseball Banter Editor-in-Chief Daniel S. Weiss

I am split on the issue.

At this point, I have more than enough giveaway jerseys and Cyclones shirts that I can go more than 2 months without doing having to do a load of laundry. I have yet to ever wear a few of them. To not have to worry about being stuck at work on a Thursday early afternoon would be nice.

However, doing away with the promo would hurt attendance and, I could always use more jerseys to add to my collection.

  1. Paul says:

    Reblogged this on Paul's Random Baseball Stuff and commented:
    As someone who only goes to a handful of Brooklyn Cyclones games each year, I’m not sure that anyone should care about my opinion… but I hope that the Cyclones keep their “Jersday Thursday” promotion going until they find something that offers fans more value.