Sean Ratliff

With Yunir Garcia being assigned to the GCL Mets for 2016, Sean Ratliff has been named Hitting Coach for the 2016 Brooklyn Cyclones.

Ratliff was the hitting coach for the Kingsport Mets last season, a team that hit .269 overall

Ratliff was drafted by the the New York Mets in the 4th round of the 2008 MLB Draft out of Stanford University.  After signing, Ratliff was immediately sent to Brooklyn, where he would appear in 59 games for the Cyclones. He hit .229 on the season with an OBP of .300. He hit 7 HRs with 22 RBIs, to go along with 9 doubles and a triple.

The following season, Ratliff was promoted to Low-A Savannah and would work his way up the ladder to High-A St. Lucie and making it as high as Double-A Binghamton.

However, Ratliff’s career derailed following Spring Training 2011. During a Triple-A Buffalo Bisons game, a foul ball hit off the bat of Zach Lutz, whacking Ratliffm who was standing in the on-deck circle, smack in the face.

The accident broke six bones and almost fully detached Ratliff’s retina. Ratliff would eventually regain enough sight in his eye and be able to get by using a corrective contact lens.

In 2012, Ratliff returned to the field with the St. Lucie Mets, but had to call it a career following 7 games, due to issues hitting.

For his minor league career, Ratliff hit .271 with 43 homers, 176 RBIs, 75 doubles, 11 triples

Ratliff becomes the 3rd Brooklyn Cyclone to later coach the team, joining Bobby Malek and Yunir Garcia.

  1. […] We anxiously await to hear some news of who will be the manager. Some hope to see a former Met, (or former Cyclone) on the […]

    Like

  2. […] Baseball Banter, Tom Gamboa will return as Manager, Edgardo Alfonzo is back as Bench Coach & Sean Ratliff is the new Hitting Coach, as Yunir Garcia has been assigned to the GCL […]

    Like

  3. […] Brooklyn Baseball Banter reports that Edgardo Alfonzo will return as the Brooklyn Cyclones’ bench coach in 2016, while former Mets prospect Sean Ratliff will be the team’s hitting coach. […]