qmeme_1455035436478_777Here are some news, notes & tidbits.

Inside you will find some news about former Brooklyn Cyclones Managers, Coaches & Trainers as well as some other important news.

Wally Back at the Helm in Vegas
Media_Wall_2016_Coaches_e7bema7s_e5wak5bl

After passing over Wally Backman for the New York Mets Bench Coach job, the front office has announced that Wally will remain in Las Vegas as the Manager of the 51s.

This is Backman’s 4th season as the 51s Manager, his 5th as the Mets AAA Manager & 7th since joining the Mets in 2010, when he served as Manager of the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Joining him will be Frank Viola, who is in his 6th season with the Mets, since joining in 2011 as the Pitching Coach for Brooklyn. Rounding out the staff is former Cyclones 2009 Hitting Coach Jack Voigt, who is starting his 11th year in the Mets farm system.

Serving as Atheltic Trainer for Las Vegas is Deb Iwanow, who joined the Mets in 2006. Along her way up the ladder, she had a 2 year stay in Brooklyn in 2009 & 2010, where she worked alongside Voigt & Backman during their respective seasons in Brooklyn.

Up in Binghamton

bmets1The new ownership group of the Binghamton Mets, Evans Street Baseball Inc., headed by John Hughes, announced that they have no plans to move the B-Mets out of town, meaning the Mets will retain their close affiliate in the Eastern League.

Leading the BMets this year will be Pedro Lopez, who managed the Cyclones in 2009 to a 45-30 record. Glen Abbott will return as pitching coach and Luis Natera is back as hitting coach. Dane Inderrieden will serve as Strength and conditioning coach.

Tada Promoted to Columbia

coachesKiyoshi Tada, who served as the Brooklyn Cyclones athletic trainer in 2011, 2014 & 2015, has been moved up to the Columbia Fireflies, the Mets new affiliate in the South Atlantic League.

Tada was named the New York – Penn League Trainer of the Year in 2014.

Also featured on the Fireflies inaugural coaching staff Joel Fuentes. Fuentes served as the Brooklyn Cyclones Bench Coach in 2009 under Pedro Lopez & in 2010 under Wally Backman.

Fuentes will serve as Hitting Coach in Columbia.

Familiar Faces in the ‘Penn

NYPLAs many of the NYPL teams have announced their coaching staffs, some familiar names have popped up.

  • Hector Berrios, who served as the Brooklyn Cyclones Pitching Coach from 2003-2008, excluding 2005, will be the new Pitching Coach for the Williamsport Crosscutters.
  • Roger LaFrancois, who served as Brooklyn Cyclones Hitting Coach in 2003, will once again serve in that role with State College Spikes.
  • Mike Hessman, the Minor League Home Run King, who spent a some time with the Mets, is the new Hitting Coach for the CT Tigers.
  • Edwin Rodriguez, who managed the Florida Marlins in 2010 & 2011 has been named Manager of the MV Scrappers

LIVE365 Calls it Quits

Live365For many years, Brooklyn Cyclones fans could listen to games on their phone using Live365, which streamed the WKRB feed from Warner Fusselle, David Greenwald and Stu Johnson, as the signal from WKRB is very weak.

However, fans will have to use other services, such as I ❤️ Radio & TuneIn Radio, as Live365 terminated all operations on January 31st, 2016.

Brooklyn Cyclones games are expected to remain on WKRB this season.

  1. […] In the past, fans could use the Live365 App or the I ❤️ Radio app to listen to games. However, Live365 suspended operations this off-season and I ❤️ Radio doesn’t carry WKRB […]

    Like

  2. […] In the past, fans could use the Live365 App or the I ❤️ Radio app to listen to games. However, Live365 suspended operations this off-season and I ❤️ Radio doesn’t carry WKRB […]