NYU AthleticsLogoWith weather predicted to be the 50s & no rain in the forecast, College Baseball is set to return to MCU Park this week.

The New York University Violets will square off against the John Jay Bloodhounds for a Double Header this Tuesday at 2 pm. Coming off a 21-23 record in their inaugural 2015 season, this will begin the 2nd season that the Violets will call MCU Park their home.

Doug Kimbler, returns as Manager for the 2nd season. He had previously served as Manager of the NYU – POLY Blue Jays for 2 seasons before the program folded / merged with the NYU Baseball Team. Aaron Walsh, Ray Kim, Jake Chaplin & Chris Bayer will serve as members of his coaching staff this season.

There are some Mets & New York Penn League connections with this team.

Chris Bayer is a former Mets farmhand. After spending the 1985 season with the Elmira Pioneers of the NYPL, Bayer was acquired by the Mets along with John Mitchell, Tom McCarthy, & Bob Ojeda (who later served as a Cyclones Pitching Coach) in exchange for Wes Gardner, John Christensen & Calvin Schiraldi. Bayer spent 3 years in the Mets Minor League system, making it as high as AA.

Will Jauss, son of former Mets Bench Coach Dave Jauss, will be a member of the team as well.

The Violets will be led by infielders Jonathan Iaione, who appeared in every game last season, Christian Bloom (.338 BA) and Jeremy Wayne (.321 BA). Chase Denison, Cameron Serapillio-Frank, Michael Vokulich, Jacob Bader, and Jarrett Weiss will serve as the starting rotation for the Violets.  Matthew Millus will serve as the closer, as  CJ Picerni will serve as the starting Catcher.

21 of the 39 players are from NY & NJ and 22 players from last years team will return.

The Violets opened their season with a 3-game set against Washington and Lee University, dropping all 3 games.

Tickets for all NYU games are $5. Those with an NYU Student, Staff or Alumni card, may enter for free.

Following the game, NYU will head to Sanford Memorial Stadium in Sanford, FL for the UAA Championship which begins next Sunday, March 6th, and ends the following Sunday, on March 13th. The Violets will return to MCU Park until Friday, March 18th, when they take on the Ursinus College Bears at 3PM.

  1. Griffin Brown says:

    Why do you care about a d3 school?

    Like

  2. […] is coming to a close, as in a few hours I will return to my beloved MCU Park to see the NYU Violets take the field in a twinbill against John Jay, thus ending baseball off-season for […]