10473908_10154085937599444_8857621269335721152_nThis off-season brings a new face to the Brooklyn Cyclones Coaching Staff in the form of new Pitching Coach, Billy Bryk Jr.

The hiring of Bryk did come as a surprise to many, as his predecessors Dave LaRoche & Tom Signore, were seasoned veterans with many years experience. However, Bryk has already has 7 years of coaching experience in the low levels of professional baseball and his teams have posted a combined 303-268 record while he has been the Pitching Coach.

While we will get a chance to get to personally know the new pitching coach this coming summer, here are 10 Interesting Facts about the 9th Pitching Coach in Brooklyn Cyclones history.

  1. Nickname is “Brykie.”

  2. Last name is pronounced “brick.”

  3. The family name was originally Brykczynski, which explains the spelling of Bryk

  4. Celebrated his 31st birthday yesterday (3/27/16).

  5. Wears #26 on his spring training jersey.

  6. Son of Bill Bryk, who is currently a Special Assistant to the GM and Major League Scout with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

  7. His father pitched in the minors with the Mets in 1972 for the Batavia Trojans. His father later managed the Watertown Pirates during the 1983 & 1984 seasons. Both teams were in the NYPL

  8. Bryk spent 2 seasons working as a Pitching Coach for a team named the Thunderbolts, a team that coincidentally shares a name with the roller coaster behind MCU Park’s left field wall.

  9. 40 of the pitchers that he coached signed with Major League Baseball organizations

  10. Bryk was orginally hired by the Lake Erie Crushers of the Frontier League on January 19th, 2016. Was released from his contract 27 days later on February 9th so he could join the NY Mets.