Gary in SIWhen you ask a Brooklyn Cyclones fan what he knows about Gary McDonald, most will tell you that Gary is a longtime Mets fan who likes to make podcasts about the Cyclones and Mets. So, we decided this week to stray away from choosing a longtime fan many of us know about and name Gary McDonald this week’s Brooklyn Baseball Banter Fan of the Week.

Gary, 63, currently lives in Oceanside, New York. He was originally from Queens, and has been a lifelong fan of the New York Mets. Gary was a season ticket holder from 1985 from 2006, having seats in Section 2, Row 1 of the Mezzanine Level of Shea Stadium.

In 2010, Gary created a weekly podcast with a friend titled Mets Musings, where he discusses his favorite team. Every week, Gary has on guests, such as former Mets, beat writers, fellow podcasters, or even longtime Mets fans. Having become so successful at this, Gary debuted Cyclones Fevercast in 2014 to recap the Cyclones. Gary has had on NYPL executives, broadcasters, and even some of the Cyclones coaches.

All episodes can be accessed from the Cyclones Fevercast tab on the top of Brooklyn Baseball Banter.

Gary became a Brooklyn Cyclones fan in 2013. It took him over a decade to make it to a game, but once he came, he was hooked on it, as he had a great time. The Cyclones were taking on the Batavia Muckdogs on a rainy night, but the weather did not get him down. Gary managed to get a foul ball during the game. As he said “It took me 50 years to get a ball at a Major League Game, and here my first Minor League game I was able to get one.”

Gary was instrumental in forming the Boardwalk Battalion. Gary was part of the panel that helped narrow down the list of possible names. Once the fans voted on a name, Gary designed a logo for the Boardwalk Battalion and redid the logo for Brooklyn Baseball Banter.

Gary hopes to purchase a Brooklyn Cyclones Mini Plan this coming season with his wife, Michelle. He is considering the plan Red, White & Blue plan, which includes the giveaway jerseys.

Gary’s favorite Cyclones manager has been Tom Gamboa. Gary likes his style of managing very much, as well as his openness with fans, as Gamboa even came on Gary’s show after the 2014 season.

Some of Gary’s favorite Cyclones players include Michael Conforto, Marcos Molina, LJ Mazzili, Amed Rosario & John Gant. Gary remembers seeing Lee Mazzilli don the Mets uniform and hopes to see LJ do the same.

Gary’s favorite items to eat at MCU Park are the Hot Dogs, and the Nachos in a souvenir helmet. Gary’s favorite giveaways are usually the Jerseys and bobbleheads.

Gary has also seen some Cyclones road games. He once partook in a group outing to RCB Ballpark, and he was happy to find out the Cyclones were taking on the Staten Island Yankees. After driving his daughter up to college in upstate NY, Gary stopped in Hudson Valley to see the Cyclones take on the Renegades.

Photos of Gary

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO ENLARGE. SCROLL THRU USING YOUR KEYBOARD, MOUSE OR FINGERS

Are you a longtime Cyclones fan who feels they are deserving of the Fan of the Week award? If so, fill out a form HERE & you might be selected!

  1. […] I got to Dutchess Stadium, I got to see my good friend Gary McDonald working on the FeverCast and a few other people I knew from my previous trips up there. I also had […]