NYU LogoThe New York University Violets close out their 2nd season at MCU Park with a 14-12 loss in 10 innings against the Skidmore Thoroughbreds.

With that loss, the Violets ended the season 20-22. Despite their bad record, the Violets had plenty of success this season, as they went 18-10 at MCU Park, but struggled away from Coney Island, going 2-12 in road / neutral site games.

Of the 39 players 2nd Year Manager Doug Kimbler had on his team this year, 3 are graduating (CJ Picerni, Jacob Bader & Sy Cohen) and there is plenty to work with. There were many players on the team who contributed a lot this season.

Adrian Spitz was a real power player on the team, as the Junior led the team with a batting average of .366, along with 52 hits, 10 doubles, 3 triples, 3 homers and 35 RBIs. Unlike most power hitters, Spitz only struck out 14 times.

Jonathan Iaione, a sophomore infielder, hit .323 with 41 hits, 7 doubles, 2 triples, a homer and 27 RBIs. Freshman Jack Walter appeared in all 42 games, scoring 37 runs and stealing 29 bases. Ryan McLaughlin knew how to take one for the team, as the freshman was hit by pitch 22 times.

The Violets had some solid pitching, as Chase Denison and Cameron Serapilio-Frank led the team with 31 & 30 strikeouts respectively. Denison, Chad Johnstone & Jack Kurtenbach each had 3 wins. Matthew Millus recorded 5 of the teams 6 saves last year.

Despite some struggles, the program is only in it’s 2nd year and has plenty of young players to work with. The Violets will be back at MCU Park next season and plan to play home games there for the long run.

A few people from the NYU Athletic Department deserve special mentions.

Team Manager Rene Rismondo for giving me the lineups before the games. NYU Assistant Athletic Director Dominick Ciaccia & Event Staff Manager Ignacio Rodriguez for giving me the info I needed & both were very friendly to the Brooklyn Cyclones fans who attended.

Also, Head Coach Doug Kimbler for putting together a good team and showing appreciation for the fans who did come. Finally, Bullpen Coach Chris Bayer, a former Mets farmhand who signed autographs & even had some stories about his time in the NYPL & in the Mets farm system.