Coney Stillwell TermAs we all know, the New York City Subways system is over 100 years old in some spots and not in the greatest shape anymore.

Because of this, the MTA is forced to shut down a stretch of stations so repair work can be done in a timely manner to minimize inconvenience to riders. Two of these major shutdowns will affect Brooklyn Cyclones fans as they attend games at MCU Park this summer.

While they are a nuisance, can cause extra travel time for some and seem to never end, some fans will be able to take advantage with the shutdown the MTA will be implementing the next 2 summers.

N TrainThe N train shutdown, which began this past January, will affect some fans when they go home from games. All Manhattan-Bound N trains skip 86th Street, Avenue U, Kings Highway, 20th Avenue, 18th Avenue, New Utrecht Avenue, & Fort Hamilton Parkway, while stopping at Bay Parkway & 8th Avenue, allowing riders to backtrack.

n_SeaBeach_mapThere is a small benefit to this. Fans who live in Manhattan or Queens will get home much faster than before. Fans in Bay Ridge, such as Brooklyn Baseball Banter Photographer, Pat Sanchez, will benefit from this.

Fans who plan on attending the New York Mets game at Citi Field on August 2nd following the Cyclones morning game against the Aberdeen Ironbirds, can save some time by using the N train and taking it to Queensboro Plaza for a 7 Express.

The 2017 season will see the N running express to Coney Island. When factored in that the N will also be rerouted to the express tracks in Manhattan when the 2nd Avenue Subway opens this winter, fans coming from Manhattan will see a drop in travel time. Getting from Citi Field to MCU Park after a day game in 2017 will be much quicker. Once fans switch from the 7 to the N at Queensboro Plaza, it’s only 15 stops to Coney Island.

F TrainJust announced this week and beginning on Tuesday, June 7th, all Coney Island bound F trains will run express from Ditmas Avenue to Coney Island. The F will skip Avenue I, Bay Parkway, Avenue N, Avenue P, Avenue U, & Avenue X. The F will make stops at Kings Highway, Neptune Avenue and West 8th Street – NY Aquarium, allowing riders to backtrack.

culver_mapFans are advised by the MTA to consider using the B & Q trains. Fans can also use the B68 bus on Coney Island Avenue, but it is a slow bus with infrequent service.

Some fans, such as Gary Fishbein, will greatly benefit from this. Others, such as Johnathan Smiley and Mike McNicholas, will be forced to backtrack or find alternatives in getting to games.

There is some small benefit to fans this season, as those attending games at Citi Field on July 3rd, August 11th & September 4th can cut out some travel time by switching to the F train in Queens.

The 2017 season will see F trains running express towards Manhattan.

12208116_10154378671042366_1581836919_nFans are also reminded that the main exit at the South Ferry – Whitehall Street station, which includes escalators that lead directly to Peter Minuit Plaza and Whitehall Terminal, will be closed this season, due to rehabilitation from Hurricane Sandy.

Fans will need to use other stairways in the station, adding no more than 90 seconds to our walk.

Fans who are not big on stairs can also consider using the nearby Bowling Green Station, which is served by the 4 & 5 trains.