Jared King

Jared King before a game in Staten Island in 2013 (Pat Sanchez)

Jared King, a member of the 2013 Brooklyn Cyclones, is hanging up his cleats and calling it a career. Jared announced his retirement on Facebook today, ending his 3.5 year stint in professional baseball.

Jared was assigned to the Cyclones in June 2013, after being selected by the Mets in the 5th round of the MLB Draft from Kansas State University.

In his lone season in Brooklyn, Jared hit .266 as the cleanup hitter and left fielder. He drove in 21 runs, scored 32 times, drew 35 walks and hit 15 doubles, while also hitting a homer.

After playing in Brooklyn, Jared moved up to Savannah for the 2014 season and after 31 games, he got promoted to St. Lucie. He also appeared in 3 games with the GCL Mets as part of a rehab assignment. Jared began the 2015 season with Binghamton, and remained there until this past Sunday.

On his Mets minor league careers, Jared played in 300 games going 245 for 1023, for an average of .239. He hit 51 doubles, 8 triples, 9 homers, scored 103 times, drove in 126 runs, drew 112 walks and hit 13 sacrifice flies.

In his Facebook post, Jared wrote the following:

“Friends and family,

I have officially decided to retire from professional baseball. This was not easy, but my mind is at peace with my decision. I want to thank all of the friends who have followed and supported my career, without you I would not be where I am today. I was so incredibly blessed to be able to play these past 24 years, and I wouldn’t change anything about the journey. I also want to thank my family for all of their unconditional love and support during my career. From driving me to tournaments as a kid, to coming to my games as a professional they have always had my back. Last but not least I want to thank my wife Maggie King for being the best supporter of all. She has been the rock through all of this and I can’t thank her enough for her endless love and patience while I chased my dream of making it to the major leagues.

This chapter is unfortunately over but I’m more than excited to start the next one.

On a personal note, Jared King, was in my opinion, one of the nicest players I got to know during his time with the Mets. When he was featured on the 2014 Brooklyn Cyclones pocket schedules, I made sure to give him some & as a thank you, he left me tickets for me & my friends for games in Lakewood, Trenton & New Britain. When a few fans went to Trenton last year on a Saturday, he left them tickets for making the trip.

13087454_10154806540017366_186556835844939547_nMy favorite memory of Jared’s time in the Mets organization came last season on July 22nd. The Binghamton Mets were up in New Britain taking on the Rock Cats. With the BMets up 4-0 in the Top of the 6th, Jared King was sent in by Manager Pedro Lopez to pinch hit for Michael Fulmer. (Fulmer was in his finals days as a Met before being sent to Detroit for Yoenis Cespedes) With the bases were loaded, nobody out and the Mets fans chanting “LETS GO METS!” Jared smacked the ball right over the RF wall to give the BMets an 8-0 lead & sending the Mets fans into a frenzy. That would be all for Jared, as Lopez did not insert him into the game as a fielder, giving him an impressive 1-for-1 game with a homer and 4 RBIs. As I said to my friends “numbers fit for a King”

I wish you the best of luck Jared, as you begin a new chapter in your life with your lovely wife Maggie. PS: Now I got to find someone else to leave me tickets when I go to Binghamton next month.

Below are some pics of Jared during his playing time & with fans. (Click to Enlarge)

  1. […] was unable to get complimentary tickets from a player, as Jared King, who always left me tickets, had retired. But, as we riding the bus, Pat Sanchez, who went to Binghamton right after the Hudson Valley trip, […]

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Jared grew up in Dublin, Ohio with my daughter-in-law , Mckenzie Lowe Reuscher. She called Jared when we were taking our grandson, Keegan to see a Sand Gnats game. Jared met us at a gate next to the dugout and came out and talked to us,signed a ball for Keegan and allowed us to get a photo of him and Keegan. We had fun following Jared. He is one of the real good guys.