Raul Jacobson (c) Pat Sanchez

Prior to tonight’s game against the Vermont Lake Monsters, RHP Raul Jacobson was demoted from the Columbia Fireflies to the Brooklyn Cyclones.

In 2 games with Columbia, Jacobson pitched 6.2 innings, getting charged with 12 earned runs, posting an ERA of 16.20. He issued 6 walks, struck out 6 batters and gave up 13 hits.

Jacobson will continue to wear #31. He will be the last member of the Brooklyn Cyclones to wear it, as it is retired by the New York Mets for Mike Piazza.

WBC BrooklynOn a related note, Jacobson is eligible to play for Team Israel in the World Baseball Classic, which will take place at MCU Park in September. Jacobson was born to a Jewish father, which meets the requirements for Israel’s Law of Return. The Law of Return permits anyone born to a Jewish parent to be eligible for Israeli Citizenship.

A source within the Brooklyn Cyclones said that Jacobson is on the shortlist for the team, which will be narrowed down to 25 men in the coming weeks.