BackgroundWith a nine month long off-season upon us, many of us look for other sports teams to fill our time with.

Some follow what is left of the MLB season, some prepare for the NFL, NHL or NBA to begin their respective seasons.

Some fans prefer to follow college teams, semi-pro teams or minor league teams as they tend to be cheaper, like our Brooklyn Cyclones. For those who want to follow other sports in the winter, do it on the cheap and without the high travel costs, here are three recommendations of college teams to follow.

FOOTBALL

ASA AvengersAs I wrote in an earlier posting, ASA College has a football team that has played at MCU Park in the past. It looks like they will spend the 2016 season playing their games at Lincoln High, located on West Ave between Ocean Parkway and West 5th Street.

ASA College games are free and conveniently located within walking distance from the Q train at Ocean Parkway and the F train at Neptune Avenue. ASA College is the only College Football team in Brooklyn.

The Avengers will have four home games. The home openers is on Saturday, September 24th at 7:00 PM, which will conflict with the World Baseball Classic, for those who have the tickets. The Avengers have a home game on October 1st & 15th, both scheduled for noon. Their final home game is on November 5th at 1:00 PM.

OTHER NEARBY TEAMS: Wagner College Seahawks, Columbia Lions & Fordham Rams

BASKETBALL

Brooklyn College BulldogsCollege Basketball is another fun way to fill one’s time during the off-season and it is relatively affordable. There are so many teams in the New York City area alone, it is possible to catch a game every night, once November rolls around.

For those who prefer not to pay, most Division 3 teams do not charge admission. Those that do charge, never charge more than $5.

The Brooklyn College Bulldogs are one of the top Division 3 programs around. The men’s team, led by Head Coach Rich Micallef, is coming off a CUNYAC Championship.

Brooklyn College’s West Quad Center is a great place to watch the game. With excellent sight-lines, a state-of-the-art scoreboard, informative gameday programs and Cyclones Season Ticket Holder Alan Zarrow serving as the PA Announcer, a Bulldogs game is more enjoyable than a Brooklyn Nets game.

It is easy to follow the Bulldogs on the road as well, as their schedule has them playing all but 5 games within the 5 boroughs of New York City. Their travels will take them twice to Montclair, and to Wayne & Hoboken, New Jersey. All those are accessible by public transit. The team will play a two-day tournament in Daytona, Florida.

OTHER NEARBY TEAMS: Too many to count. Check the NCAA site to find the full list.

HOCKEY

NYU AthleticsLogoThis is where we are limited in options. While we once had the Brooklyn Aces & the New York / Brooklyn Aviators racing across the ice, there are no minor league hockey teams playing at the the Aviator Sports & Events Center Complex on Flatbush Avenue.

The only college hockey team in New York City is the club hockey team of the New York University Violets. Their schedule is not out yet, but theie games, which are played at the frigid Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers, are free of charge to anyone who wants to attend.

The New York Riveters of the National Women’s Hockey League have relocated from Aviator to the Barnabas Health Hockey House, located at the Prudential Center in Newark.

They are somewhat affordable, and have put together a good squad. However, but the trip to Newark on a weekend can take either a lot of time or money, depending on how one gets there.

OTHER NEARBY TEAMS: Some FHL Teams, some Minor League Hockey in CT and some teams in NJ.