tim-tebow-mets-2012As we all know, the New York Mets signed former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow to a minor league contract, giving him a shot to play professional baseball. Tebow reported to the Instructional League with other minor leaguers.

So naturally, many people took to the internet to go nuts about the Mets signing somebody who hasn’t played baseball since high school.

However, If we look at it reasonably, there are plenty of reasons the signing of Tim Tebow might work out, five of which I have outlined below.

1: Non-Guaranteed Minor League Contract

For those who think he will be replacing Yoenis Cespedes next season need to learn how professional baseball works. Barring any miracle, he is not going to be on the Opening Day roster next season. Tebow is on a contract that could end at any minute.

2: Financial Benefit to the Mets Affiliates

People will pay money to see Tim Tebow play Minor League Baseball. If you have the time, watch the ESPN Documentary titled Jordan Rides the Bus. When Michael Jordan left the NBA and went to the Chicago White Sox, the Birmingham Barons, the team MJ played for, sold hundreds of season tickets the day it was announced was going to play for them. Of course, the attendance for all the road games the Barons played went up as well.

And then, there is the Tim Tebow merchandise with his name on it. People will pay $100 for a jersey, or $35 for a shirt with Tebow’s name on it.

If you go down to Birmingham, a Barons jersey with #23 & Jordan on it is still a popular item.

So, if Tebow ends up a Brooklyn Cyclone or St. Lucie Met, the Wilpons will make money off this, as they own those franchises. If he ends up with the Columbia Fireflies and Binghamton Mets (or whatever they will be called), those owners will make the money.

Even if he never makes it out of Spring Training, fans will pack Tradition Field during his time with the Mets.

3: Low Risk; High Reward

Despite how some fans are reacting, he isn’t getting Jason Bay or Bobby Bonilla money. The Mets didn’t trade away their top 5 prospects or two All Star players to get Tebow.

The Mets are giving him the same chance that they have given to thousands of other guys who played in their minor league system who never made it to the show. Tebow is no different from the other players who tried out and were signed.

And, like every other guy in Minor League Baseball, Tebow will be underpaid for all the work that goes in to it. However, Tebow will not struggle, as he has already earned nearly $9M playing in the NFL plus a couple million more in endorsement deals.

4: Sandy Doesn’t Play Games

Whether or not you like New York Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson, he isn’t the type to do something gimmicky like this to sell seats. He will only make a move if it pays off from a baseball standpoint.

Like James Loney & Jose Reyes, he found a guy nobody else wanted, got them on the cheap and it has paid off.

5: It Could be the Greatest Move Ever

Imagine if Tebow one day makes the Majors and has a great career playing baseball. People will say what a great move it was by the Mets. Fans of every team will regret how their team passed on Tim Tebow.

If he doesn’t make it, the way Michael Jordan didn’t make it either, he will end up one of the many guys who tried to be a two-sport athlete and failed at it. Fans will discuss how he couldn’t cut it, but not talk about how if affected the franchise for years to come.