mcu-park

(c) Sheldon Pincus

Every year since 2011, the Brooklyn Cyclones attendance has dropped significantly. While they remain at the top of the New York-Penn League in attendance, games are noticeably emptier than they once were. Jersday Thursdays were once a standing room only crowd, but cannot sell out anymore.

Fans who stopped coming have given multiple reasons. Some mention the quality of play, others say the novelty has worn off. Some list various irritants that should be addressed.

Over the next few weeks I am going to point out a few things the Brooklyn Cyclones front office needs to improve on to increase attendance. We begin this week, with Music.

Music is a factor of going to games. It isn’t a big one, but it does contribute to it.

The frequency of the music, the loudness of the music and the choice of songs can affect the attendance. People want good songs that also allows them to have conversations.

For the most part, the Cyclones play very good music. However, some of the songs used in-between pitches might just be the most awful of music out there. Here are 3 audio clips that are both annoying and awful enough to make me root for Staten Island.

Mah Nà Mah Nà, Chacarron, & the intro to I’m Gonna Get You.

Pardon my language, but WHO THE HELL PLAYS THAT GARBAGE? No legit DJ in the professional sports world plays these clips because most DJs think those three songs suck.

So why the hell must our Ballpark DJ insist on playing it night in & night out???

A good choice of songs to use in their place are something good like Joe Satrini’s Crowd Chant, Zombie Nation’s Kernkraft 400 or Seven Nation Army before those three pieces of trash. We can also use the classics like Green Acres, Car Wash, The Addams Family, Let’s Go Team & We Will Rock You.

To the Cyclones staffers who are reading this, remove those 3 songs from the playlist.

While we are discussing songs that should get the ax, we need to get rid of those two horrible and torturous tunes synonymous with Yankee Stadium.

Cotton Eyed Joe, a song many associate with the 7th Inning Stretch at Yankee Stadium, is an annoying song that could easily be replaced with something ten times better like Cupid Shuffle, Electric Cha-Cha Slide, Harlem Shake, or Jump on It.

Let’s also not forget the theory on the internet that the song is actually about STDs.

The other garbage song that needs to be removed from MCU Park’s playlist ASAP is the insufferable YMCA. Every reasonable, level-headed adult who attends over 150 sporting events a year will tell you that the song is the most annoying song on this planet.

Since I was a kid, I have never understood the allure of this song. I first heard it during the infamous 15-Inning Game of the 1999 NLCS. I could not understand why 57,000+ adults were throwing their arms up to spell out YMCA. And to this day it boggles my mind.

To make things more aggravating, it has somehow become a nightly staple at MCU Park this season, which is enough for this writer to consider not renewing his season tickets.

The team needs to come up with more better songs to play than this. I would rather hear something like Brooklyn We Go Hard or No Sleep Till Brooklyn.

  1. Robert Kahan says:

    cotton eyed joe is played mid-8 inn. @ YS, not 7inn. (ymca is top 7th), but neither song has anything to do with NYY or b-ball and are hated by all true fans