Photo Courtesy of NYU Athletics

Earlier today, the New York University Athletics Department announced the hiring of Tommy Cardona as an Assistant Coach for the NYU Violets Baseball team.

In a statement to the NYU Athletics website, Head Coach Doug Kimbler said “I am excited to have Coach Cardona be part of our baseball program at NYU. Tommy has extensive knowledge of baseball, and I am looking forward to him hitting the ground running. I am fortunate to be able to add a young coach with Tommy’s experience to my staff.”

Returning to Coach Kimbler’s coaching staff are Aaron Walsh, the former Head Coach of the Centenary Cyclones, and Chris Bayer, who spent 3 seasons as a minor league pitcher with the New York Mets.

Cardona played with the NYIT Bears for 4 seasons was a four-year member of the Bears’ baseball team, serving as a captain during two of those seasons.

Cardona also works in the Brooklyn Cyclones Front Office as an Account Executive and Director of Special Events. He joined the Brooklyn Cyclones as in May 2014 as a Ticket Sales and Promotions Intern. He became a full time employee in January 2015.

“I’m excited to be part of this outstanding university and its baseball program, and to have the opportunity to work with Coach Kimbler and his staff,” Cardona said to the NYU Athletics Website. “I will do everything I can to help the players reach their potential.”

The NYU Violets play their home games at MCU Park from March to early May. Tickets are $5 and free for those with a NYU Student, Staff, Faculty or Alumni Card. The Violets open the season on March 1st with a twinbill vs the John Jay Bloodhounds.

  1. […] Year Head Coach Doug Kimbler has also made some changes to his coaching staff, adding Cyclones Ticket Rep & former NYIT player Tommy Cardona following the departures of Jake Chaplin & Ray Kim from his […]