After many years of beginning the Friday night of Father’s Day Weekend and ending on Labor Day, which avoided empty Ballpark after Labor Day. However, due to the lateness of the Draft & College World Series, the League will once again shift the start of the season to the day after Father’s Day and end the Thursday after Labor Day.
For many years, the New York – Penn League was one of the few leagues that had a very balanced scheduling, as each team would play a series against every other team at least once a season.
Of the 76 games, the Brooklyn Cyclones would play a total of 34 games versus the other McNamara Division teams (usually broken up as 14-10-10 or 12-12-10). Another 24 games would be played against each Stedler Division team, broken up as 3 at home and 3 on the road. They would use the remaining 18 games on Pinckney Division teams, playing 3 of those teams on the road, with the other 3 coming in to MCU Park.
This season, there is a big shift in the scheduling.
- For McNamara Division games, the Cyclones will still play 34 total games, but there is an imbalance now. The Cyclones will face off against Aberdeen 12 times, with 6 games at both MCU Park & Ripken Stadium. They will face Staten Island 13 times, but only 5 of those games being played at RCB Ballpark. They will face Hudson Valley 9 times, playing only 3 games in Dutchess Stadium.
- The Cyclones will place less games against the Pinckney Division to cut down on travel. They will host State College for 3 games and visit West Virginia and Mahoning Valley for 3 games apiece. The Cyclones will not play Auburn, Batavia or Williamsport at all.
- To make up the 9 games they will not play against the Pinckney Division, the Cyclones will make extra trips to Connecticut and Tri-City, with Lowell making a 2nd visit to MCU Park. They will still play 6 games against Vermont.
The Cyclones themselves have made some changes in their scheduling.
For starters, the Cyclones have announced that Friday games will begin at 6:40 PM so that the Coney Island Fireworks should will be less likely to occur during the game.
- Sunday home games, which began at varying start times last season, are called for 4:00 PM, except for July 2nd, which is called for 1 PM.
- Once again, there is also just one camp day game, on Tuesday July 25th.
- One balancing in the schedule this year will see the Cyclones will play 6 home games apiece on Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays. The other four days of the week will each see 5 home games.
- Assuming the Cyclones keep some promos, the first $10 Wednesday would not be until July 17th and Jersday Thursday would not begin until August 3rd.
There will also be some long home-stands & road trips.
- The Cyclones will have a 6-game home-stand against State College & Staten Island from July 14-19.
- The Cyclones will make a 6-game road trip to Lowell & Aberdeen from July 27 – Aug. 1.
- After that trip, they host 6 games versus Tri-City & Lowell Aug. 2-7.
- They will hit the road right after that from Aug. 8-13 against West Virginia & Hudson Valley.
- From Tuesday, Aug. 22 to Saturday, Sept. 2nd, the Cyclones will not leave NYC, as they will play an unprecedented 10 homes games with 2 road games in Staten Island in the mix.