tom-gamboa-israel

Tom Gamboa (c) Daniel Weiss

Earlier today, the Israel Association of Baseball announced the coaching staff for Team Israel at the 2017 World Baseball Classic.

Jerry Weinstein will continue as the Manager of Team Israel, thanks to his great work in helping Team Israel win their first qualifier ever.

Remaining on Weinstein’s staff as his right hand man will be former Brooklyn Cyclones Manager Tom Gamboa, serving as the Bench Coach.

Also remaining on the coaching staff will be former Texas Rangers & Cincinnati Reds Manager Jerry Narron, who will serve as 3B Coach. Nate Fish will serve as 1B Coach, Former MLB Pitcher Andrew Lorraine will continue as Pitching Coach with Alon Leichman as bullpen coach.

Tom Gamboa (c) Pat Sanchez

Tom Gamboa (c) Pat Sanchez

Gamboa announced in August that he would be remaining in Brooklyn for a few extra weeks, as he was joining the coaching staff of Team Israel. He explained that the originally picked bench coach had to step aside, due to an ill family member. Weinstein, who has been friends with Gamboa for many years, asked his good friend to fill it.

Gamboa’s extensive knowledge of both baseball, as well as MCU Park, helped lead Team Israel win the qualifier over Team Great Britain.

In statement to Brooklyn Baseball Banter Tom Gamboa had the following to say.

We are all looking forward to going to Seoul. South Korea on February 27th to practice and prepare for a very tough tournament beginning on March 6th against Korea, the Netherlands and Chinese Taipei.

We hope to make Israel proud!

FULL IBA PRESS RELEASE

  1. […] Tom Gamboa, who spend his final game in the MCU Park dugout, thanked all of us for our never-ending support over his last three seasons. He told us that he would remain with Team Israel in March. […]