new_york_cosmos_2010-svgWith the New York Cosmos, as well as the North American Soccer League, on the brink of folding, a source within the Brooklyn Cyclones front office informed Brooklyn Baseball Banter that “while there were talks about moving the Cosmos to MCU Park, it was highly unlikely.”

The Cosmos did play a few games at MCU Park, but there were several factors that precluded the Cosmos from moving in full time. For starters, the NYU Violets, MCU Park’s primary spring tenant, pays a lot of money for the rights to have first selection of dates for their home games and practices.

Another factor that went into consideration with the Cosmos moving in was having a permanent soccer pitch painted onto the baseball diamond during the college baseball & minor league baseball seasons. The Cosmos would also have had to deal with playing on a field that would change from synthetic grass to an infield “dirt” in some spots. (EDITORS NOTE: NYCFC covers part of the Yankee Stadium infield with rolls of sod for an all grass surface. The same could be done with the Cosmos)

Sight-lines & the pitching mound were also going to be an issue, as MCU Park is designed for baseball. Fans seated along the 1B side of MCU Park would be considerably recessed back from the field. To remove the pitching mound to accommodate soccer, or to install a removable mound, which was featured in many dual purpose ballparks, would cost a lot of money & require extra work.