We are now less than a month away from the return of College Baseball to MCU Park and the start of another season of baseball.
While that game between the SUNY – Old Westbury Panthers & the Baruch Bearcats it’s still weeks away, there is plenty of Brooklyn Cyclones and MCU Park news to report.
From ex Cyclones, past & future tenants of MCU Park and group outings, there is plenty of news in this edition of Brooklyn Baseball Banter News & Updates.
Former Cyclone Mike Jacobs to Lead Batavia
Mike Jacobs, an original Cyclone who is known for driving in the game-winning RBI in the first game played at MCU Park back in 2001.
Jacobs spent the 2001 season in Brooklyn, where he hit .288 with a homer and 15 RBIs.
He made his MLB Debut with the New York Mets in 2005. That offseason, he was shipped to Florida along with Grant Psomas & Yusmeiro Petit for Carlos Delgado. Jacobs returned to the Mets in 2010 for 10 games, before bouncing around the next 6 seasons.
Jacobs retired from playing baseball this winter and is now managing the Batavia Muckdogs (Miami Marlins.) Due to the new scheduling for the New York Penn League, the Cyclones will not play the Muckdogs this season.
Brooklyn Bolts Helmets Shipped Off
Slowly but surely, many of the traces of MCU Park’s football team are being removed from the ballpark. The Team Store is selling off the remaining Brooklyn Bolts souvenirs for next to nothing. The remaining Hats & Jerseys that were given away to fans who attended Bolts games were sold off at the garage sale, along the press conference backdrop in November.
Some of the game used jerseys were sold off by ex-FXFL Commissioner Brian Woods to a handful of fans.
Last Friday, Woods had all the Brooklyn Bolts helmets shipped out of MCU Park. According to a source within MCU Park, the Helmets will be sent to a company that reconditions the helmets. All the helmets will have the Brooklyn Bolts or Blacktips and FXFL decals peeled off. After that, the helmets will be buffed to look new.
Boardwalk Battalion Mets Game Announced
The outing will take place on Wednesday, April 5th, 2017. All tickets are $36. Tickets must be purchased in advanced through Daniel Weiss.
Those who purchase tickets will receive a replica jersey of Mets legend (& former Brooklyn Cyclones manager) Mookie Wilson!
No Update on the Cosmos Moving In
The source did add that the presence of two college baseball teams at MCU Park (the NYU Violets & Baruch Bearcats) has affected the move, as both teams have scheduled dates for the upcoming season and plan on keeping their dates.
Recent Cosmos news has them in talks about moving to Columbia University, where the soccer stadium is named after the new owner of the Cosmos, Rocco B. Commisso.
- There will be a Salute to Seinfeld Night 4 this summer. It will take place in August.
- The designs for the Group Caps will be released in the coming weeks.
- Joe Senisi, who served as a Ticketing Intern for 2 seasons, is not a full time Account Executive, replacing Peter Talman, who left last season.
- Santino Stancato has been named the new Marketing Manager, replacing Kaitlyn Coufal, who left after the season.
- Christian Moore is the new Community Relations Manager. She fills the void left by Josh Mevorach after 2014. Craig Coughlin had been doing the duties of CR Manager the last 2 seasons.
- The 7 Line Army will come to MCU Park on Saturday, Saturday, June 24th, 2017. They will have a bleacher buyout with a special package.