joey-goffstein-yuJoey Goffstein, who served as Head Bat Boy of the Brooklyn Cyclones in 2014 & 2015, has joined the Yeshiva University Macabees Baseball Team for the 2017 College Baseball Season.

Joey will wear #3 on his jersey and play the outfield. He bats & throws right handed.

The Macabees will come in to MCU Park on Tuesday, April 25th for a doubleheader that begins at 5:00 PM.

Joey recently spoke with Brooklyn Baseball Banter’s Daniel Weiss about the upcoming season.

How does it feel to be playing for the Yeshiva University Macabees?

I am very happy to play for Yeshiva University. I want to thank Head Coach Frankie Delgado for this amazing opportunity.

Through my experiences, it helps me represent the Jewish identity in baseball. I feel like I’m going out there and helping build Jewish baseball.”

joey-goffstein-batWhy did you choose #3 as your jersey number?

It was always my number in basketball growing up because I loved Allen Iverson and I stuck with it for baseball in High School. I also love the style of Carl Crawford and Curtis Granderson in the outfield, both of whom wear 3 on their jerseys.

How do you feel about playing at MCU Park against the NYU Violets on April 25th?

It’s gonna be very cool. I see it as sort of a homecoming from my days as Bat Boy for the Brooklyn Cyclones. It will also be 7 months to the day since Team Israel won the World Baseball Classic Qualifier that I was fortunate enough to work as a Bat Boy.

When I worked for the Cyclones, I used to shag Batting Practice with the guys, so I know the outfield very well. But I’ve never experienced balls coming off of metal bats in the outfield, so it will be slightly different.

There will be a number of familiar faces at MCU Park that day. Between NYU Asst. Coach Tommy Cardona, who worked ticketing when I was there, & Max Colten, who was the Head Clubhouse Manager when I worked there, plus a handful of familiar fans in the stands, it will be a unique experience.

An abridged version of this article appeared in the February 9th, 2017 edition of the Jewish Link of New Jersey.