The rosters have been released for the upcoming World Baseball Classic which begins in March & there are 29 names spread among 10 national teams that should be familiar to New York Mets & Brooklyn Cyclones fans.
Leading the way is Team Puerto Rico, featuring 7 men who played for the Mets. In second is the victor of MCU Park’s qualifier, Team Israel, with 5 Mets players and one coach.
Here is a complete guide to which current and former Mets and / or Brooklyn Cyclones who will be participating in the World Baseball Classic.
Seven of the 36 members of Team Puerto Rico have at one point been under contract with the New York Mets.
- Andrew Barbosa, spent the 2016 season in the Mets system.
- Carlos Beltran, played with the Mets from 2005-2011. Rehabbed with the Cyclones in 2009 for 4 games.
- Jose De La Torre, spend the 2006-2011 season in the Mets system, played for Brooklyn in 2006
- Seth Lugo, been in the Mets system since 2011, Spent 2013 in Brooklyn, made his MLB debut this season.
- Angel Pagan, was with the Mets minor leagues from 2000-2005. An original Cyclone. Traded to the Cubs in 2006, but played with the Mets from 2008-2011, including a rehab stint with the Cyclones in 2008. One of MCU Park’s honored numbers.
- Rene Rivera, Mets backup catcher since 2016
- TJ Rivera, been with the Mets organization since 2011, where he finished the season in Brooklyn. Made his debut in August.
Team Israel will feature 5 men who have played in the Mets organization, as well as a coach. 4 of the players played for Team Israel during the Qualifier at MCU Park in September.
- Ike Davis, was drafted by the Mets in 2008, where he began his career as a Cyclone. Made his MLB debut in 2010 and remained a Met until 2014 until he was traded for Zack Thornton.
- Tyler Herron, spent the 2016 season in the Mets organization with Binghamton & Las Vegas.
- Ty Kelly, who made his MLB debut with the Mets in 2016 and is still with the organization.
- Zach Thornton, who the Mets acquired for Ike Davis in 2014. Since joining the Mets, Thornton has remained with the Las Vegas 51s. Thornton did not play with Team Israel in September.
- Josh Zeid, who pitched well in 2 qualifier games at MCU Park, split 2016 with Binghamton & Las Vegas.
Tom Gamboa, who managed the Brooklyn Cyclones from 2014-2016, will serve as bench coach for Team Israel
The American National Team will boast 3 ex-Mets.
- Daniel Murphy, who came up with the Mets, debuting in 2008, before leaving after the 2015 season. Murphy played in 8 games in Brooklyn in 2006 and played 3 rehab games in 2008.
- Tyler Clippard, who pitched for the Mets in 2015.
- Michael Fulmer, who was in the Mets system from 2011-15 before being traded for Yoenis Cespedes
Team Italia will have 3 former Brooklyn Cyclones
- Drew Butera, a member of the 2005 Cyclones who the Mets sent to Minnesota in 2007 for Luis Castillo.
- Gavin Cecchini, who spent 2013 in Brooklyn and made his MLB debut in 2016.
- Brandon Nimmo, a member of the 2012 Cyclones who also made his debut this past season.
The Mexican Team will have a trio of men who wore Mets gear at some point in there career.
- Xorge Carrillo, a member of the 2011 Brooklyn Cyclones who has worked his way up to Las Vegas.
- Oliver Perez, who came to the Mets in 2006 & was bought out after 2010.
- Carlos Torres, spent 3 seasons with the Mets, including 2015.
The Dominican Team will have 3 current New York Mets
- Jeurys Familia, the current Mets closer who rehabbed in Brooklyn in 2013.
- Jose Reyes, who has spent many years with the Mets and played a number of rehab games in Brooklyn.
- Hansel Robles, who started 12 games in Brooklyn in 2012 before making his MLB debut with the Mets in 2015.
- Yusmeiro Petit, pitched two games for Brooklyn in 2003 and was dealt away by the Mets for Carlos Delgado.
- Francisco Rodríguez, the Mets closer from 2009-2011.
The Colombian National Team will feature a pair of names familiar to Mets fans.
- Nabil Crismatt: Spent 2016 in Brooklyn, finished the season in Binghamton
- Dilson Herrera: Traded to the Mets in 2013, made his debut in 2014 & was traded to Cincinnati for Jay Bruce in 2016.
The Canadian team will have an ex-Cyclone in Jonathan Malo, a member of the Cyclones for two seasons (2005-06), been in the Can-Am for a number of years.
Bruce Chen, who pitched for the Mets in 2001 & 2002 before being traded away mid-season will be the only Met on the Chinese Team.