17012789_10155745164587366_233307479_n

A Foggy Game (c) Sam Williams

After 5 long months, baseball finally returned to MCU Park this afternoon as the Baruch Bearcats faced off with the Old Westbury Panthers on a very foggy afternoon.

Despite the less than ideal conditions to play in, Jose Torres’ Bearcats took the field in Game 1, and Cameron Kitt was perfect in the Top of the 1st, striking out all 3 batters he faced. Kitt continued his good pitching in the next inning, by keeping Old Westbury off the scoreboard.

The Bearcats would score a run in the bottom of the 2nd on an error, as Edwin St. Hilaire reached on an error and scored two batters later on an error.

The Panthers tied it up in the Top of the 4th off reliever Paul Sirakowski, as Tommy Ziegen hit a 1-out single and scored two batters later on a single by Dean Sheridan.

The Bearcats would retake the lead in the Bottom of 5th as Ramon Moreta hit a 2-out single to right, stole both 2nd & 3rd and scored on a hit by Raymond Maurer to go up 2-1.

Sirakowski would keep the Panthers off the board, giving Baruch an Opening Day win.

16996582_10155745164637366_1806846978_n

Fog Delay (c) Sam Williams

Game Two did not go as well for the Bearcats, as they gave up a run in the Top of the 3rd.

During the Bottom of the 3rd, the sun began to poke through, leading many to anticipate clear skies ahead.

However, the fog got thicker in the 4th, and by the time the Top of the 5th came around, the fog was getting thick again. The Panthers would put another run on the board to make it 2-0, but the fog had gotten so thick, the umpires cleared the field with one out in the inning.

After a little more than an hour of waiting, the umpires and coaches agreed to call the game. As it was not an official game, the Bearcats managed to avoid a loss.

Following the game, Coach Torres had the following to say about the game.

“We were able to capitalize on a defensive mistake by Old Westbury and got a big timely hit from Raymond Maurer against a formidable pitcher to scratch out the win.
Freshmen Paul Sirakowski who relieved Cam Kitt in the third inning turned in a stellar performance.
The defense made the plays when needed and didn’t give them any opportunities. Hopefully our bats will come around as hits were a premium today”