We are beginning a new thing here on Brooklyn Baseball Banter, where we recap the College Baseball games at MCU Park each week. As opposed to doing a full recap of each game, I will provide a short summary and the readers can go to the team sites for the full recap. ENJOY!

3/1/2017: NYU Comes Back To Defeat John Jay

The NYU Violets opened their 3rd season at MCU Park with an amazing come from behind win over the John Jay Bloodhounds to open the 2017 season.

The Bloodhounds put up 3 runs in the first, but NYU put up a run in both the 2nd & 3rd innings.

A bases loaded walk in the 4th put John Jay up 4-2. However, Coleman Hendershot drove in a run on a double play and a single by Adrian Spitz scored Walter to tie it up.

NYU would go ahead in the next inning, thanks to to a smart bunt by Grant Otto that scored Bobby Moskow. Jack Elias hit a 2-run single that put the Violets up 7-4, which would be the final score.

The second game was not played, as John Jay had to travel following the game.

3/2/2017: Baruch Falls 14-2 in 8

Baruch took the field against the William Paterson University Pioneers.

The Baruch pitching did not have it, as they gave up runs in every inning but the 8th.

Baruch would score two in the Bottom of the 6th, but it made little difference in the end.

Highlights of the game saw Eriq Colon of the Pioneers hit two homers in the game, a rarity for MCU Park.

The game would be called after the 8th inning, as it got dark out and the Bearcats do not use the lights while playing at MCU Park.

3/4/2017: NYU Beats Rutgers-Newark 13-11

On a frigid day at MCU Park, the only things that were hot were the bats of both teams, as they combined for 24 runs on 20 hits.

NYU went up 5-0 after 2 innings, with Coleman Hendershot driving in 3 of the runs.

That lead was soon gone, as the Scarlet Raiders put up 7 runs in the 5th. NYU got one back on a sac fly by Jonathan Iaione, but they still trained 7-6.

Newark scored 3 runs in the 7th to go ahead by 4, but NYU had good hitting by Spitz, Iaione and Moskow to tie it up at 10.

A sac fly by Iaione and a triple by Moskow the next inning gave them a 13-10 lead going into the 9th. Newark added a run on a passed ball, but that was all they would manage, and they fell to NYU 13-11.

3/5/2017: Game 1: NYU Comes Back to Top SUNY Canton 6-5.

Jarrett Weiss Had 3 Wins for the Violets (c) NYU Athletics

SUNY Canton made a 7-hour ride to Brooklyn and went up 1-0 in the Top of the 1st.

However, NYU would score in the 3rd, as Hendershot drove in Jack Walter, and score laer on a single by Colton Tait to go up 2-1. A double by Walter an inning later drove in Otto to make it 3-1.

The Kangaroos put up 4 runs in the 6th to make is 5-3 game. NYU would get a run back in the 7th on a sac fly by Iaione.

NYU would add a run in the 8th to tie it up and a double by Tait in the 9th scored Iaione to give them a walkoff win and a 3-0 record.

3/5/2017: Game 2: NYU Knocks Out Kangaroos 20-1.

Towards the end of the campaigning for the 2016 US Presidential Election, Donald Trump said the following at a rally:

We’re going to win so much. You’re going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please Mr. President, I have a headache. Please, don’t win so much. This is getting terrible.’

Now, if we change wherever “win” appears to “score” and the word “headache” to “headcold,” that line by our President would perfectly describe what most fans were feeling during the game (because they sure couldn’t feel their toes).

Luckily the NYU bats remained hot, as Coach Doug Kimbler’s lineup of backups players put on a hitting display that one rarely sees at MCU Park.

They scored a run in first, 4 in the 3rd, and 3 in each of the next 3 innings to go up 14-0.

To make things better for NYU, the pitching took a no-hitter into the 8th. With 2 outs, Jeremy Baez doubled to right, ending NYU’s combined no-hit bid. A run would score, but NYU got out of the inning.

The Violets would add 6 runs as the sun set, causing the temperature at MCU Park to drop. When all things were said and done, NYU had a 20-1 lead, which they kept to improve to 4-0 on the season.